The Earthshot Prize
On BBC1 on Sunday 4 December 2022 at 5:35pm, we'll see the Earthshot Prize Ceremony: The Earthshot Prize: Repairing Our Planet. The award ceremony is in Boston on Friday 2 December 2022 but the more of us that know about the Earthshot Prize, the better - we can all spread the word.
What is the Earthshot Prize all about?
It is an global environment prize, to incentivise change and help repair our planet over the next decade. It aims to turn current pessimism about the environmental issues into optimisim by showing how human ingenuity can bring about change and inpsire collective action.
And what is the Earthshot Prize BBC programme all about?
Prince William is the Founder of the Earthshot Prize. Sir David Attenborough is a member of the Earthshot Prize Council. Together they explore how we may best protect and restore nature.
Sir David Attenborough explains how our approach to modern live is causing a major decline in biodiversity – and this decline will affect our own lives. He says that we know how to stop this and revsere the loss of wildlife.
If we can manage our land with biodiversity and wildlife in mind, then the wild can bounce back. Prince William introduces us to the finalists for the Earthshot Prize to protect and restore nature.
The series covers five things we can do to fix our planet:
- Protect and restore nature - by 2030, the aim is that, "for the first time in human history, the natural world is growing - not shrinking - on our planet.
- Fix our climate - by 2030, "we choose to fix the world's climate by cutting out carbon: building a carbon-neutral economy that lets every culture, community and country thrive".
- Clean our air - by 2030, "we choose to ensure that everyone in the world breathes clean, healthy air at World Health Organisation standard or better".
- Revive our oceans - by 2030, "we choose to repair and preserve our oceans for future generations".
- Build a waste-free world - by 2030, we choose "to build a word where nothing goes to waste, where the leftovers of one process become the raw materials of the next - just like they do in nature".
Every single one of us can do something to contribute
Every single one of these things will have actions you and I can take to fix our planet and reverse biological decline.
So much is on the internet now to show us – you can start at home with your garden or lifestyle there. Plant a pot for pollinators. If you haven’t got a garden, you can still do this on a patio or a balcony. No patio or balcony? Reduce your waste. Cut back on plastic. Eat foods in season. Eat fruit that's not in perfect shape! Every single one of us can do something towards one or more of these goals.
Many of us are trying to do something already. We can all do more by looking at our own lives and how we are living and taking more steps to make a difference. We can all do more.
Earthshot: How to Save Our Planet (Hardback)
available from Foyles.co.uk for £17.99
Also available from Amazon (£10.00)